Still Water V’s Sparkling Water
Sparkling water hydrates a person as well as still water. Drinking sparkling water on a regular basis can be a healthy habit for some people and can be used as a source of hydration; however, not all sparkling water is the same. In the majority of cases, it is recommended that a person drinks regular water.
What Is Still Water?
Still, water refers to the water we can easily access and drink. It is the fluid we know as H2O and is recognized as coming from natural sources, such as a spring or fountain. While people in rural areas rely on local reservoirs for their water, residents of larger urban areas can drink the water from their taps – dependent on how effective the water cleaning station is. A further option to drink still water is by purchasing it in bottles. This water is sourced at springs and wells and can be mineral or distilled, meaning it was boiled to have all of the impurities removed.
What Is Sparkling Water?
Sparkling water is water in which carbon dioxide gas has been dissolved using pressure; thereby, creating carbonated water. The process of carbonisation gives the water bubbles and can make it taste slightly salty. Sparkling water is only sourced in bottles, but it can run through special taps or be processed using personal soda syphons.
While some people can mistake sparkling water for mineral water, mineral water differs in that it is still at its source. To become sparkling, it would need to be carbonated.
Which Is More Beneficial?
So, apart from the carbonisation, what are the differences between sparkling water and still water? Drinking water is essential for all humans, but drinking bubbles in water aren’t. So do the bubbles and taste account for the primary differences between the two? Yes! However, it seems that the placement of these bubbles in water can result in certain health issues.
Health Complications Associated with Sparkling Water.
One health issue that can be associated with drinking sparkling is the case of tooth decay. While the bubbles themselves do not ruin the tooth enamel, the carbonation process contributes to tooth damage. Studies have found that a person’s tooth is not greatly affected by the ‘fizz’ of carbonated water; however, the carbonate could negatively affect the calcium in the jaw bone.
Once the bone is damaged, the tooth decay is a side effect. Moreover, people who enjoy drinking flavoured sparkling water will find the sweetness to be detrimental to the tooth enamel.
Digestive issues can be one of the most notable issues associated with the consumption of carbonated water; however, this will depend on the individual’s constitution. Sensitive stomachs are clean counter-indications based on the fizz in sparkling water as the carbonate triggers excess gastric acid, leading to an irritation of stomach mucus. On the other hand, sparkling water can be beneficial for digestive problems in the case of constipation as it can ‘speed things along’.
Individuals experiencing urinary tract problems should avoid drinking any carbonated beverages, including sparkling water. This means that still water is the safest option as it is harmless and there is less risk of over-consumption. Of course, if you do drink too much still water your body may experience a rare condition where the body is over-hydrated. This can result in clear urine, vomiting, poor coordination, loss of balance, confusion and dizziness.
While there are negative effects of sparkling water, it should be noted that both types have their benefits as well. Carbonated and still water take up space in the stomach, so you feel less hungry and can result in weight loss. Furthermore, based on the texture of carbonated water, you may find yourself drinking more water and meeting your daily required intake.
Both still and sparkling water add to the recommended daily water intake and can rehydrate after water loss. Although you will need more sparkling water than still to hydrate to the same level.
As can be seen, there are various pros and cons to take into account when considering sparkling water v’s still. Whilst most people prefer the taste of sparkling water, it remains that still water is a better choice in terms of associated health risks.